Call For Applications
Call for Applications 2019
The Environmental Sciences and Policy Doctoral Program is inviting applications for Doctor of Philosophy studies starting from 2019 at CEU.*
Financial assistance is available including tuition waivers and full CEU fellowships that cover all tuition fees and include a generous living allowance for up to three years. Please read our Doctoral Program Handbook for detailed programmatic information.
We welcome all applications that fit within the department's research profile. We are particularly interested in applications in the following areas:
- Environmental Resource Governance (environmental policy; environment in illiberal democracies; history of environmental processes and policies, current state of the environment in countries of Central and Eastern Europe and beyond)
- Environmental Justice, Politics, and Humanities (Environmental sociology and anthropology; political ecology of farmer seed systems, agro-biodiversity, and alternative agricultural paradigms; Environmental justice and resource conflicts; global environmental movements; environmental philosophy; Environmental arts and humanities)
- Management of Socio-Ecological Systems (human-wildlife conflicts and their mitigation; protected area management; sustainable communities; nature-based solutions in the urban fabric; sustainability transitions and transformation in the urban context; community indicator systems; global and regional environmental processes and assessment tools i.e. Sustainable development goals)
- Energy Transitions and Climate Change (mitigating Climate Change; pathways to improving energy efficiency; political economy of energy security and energy transitions; energy markets and regulation; energy issues in Central and Eastern Europe; adaptation to extreme climate scenarios)
- Resource Management and Pollution Control (ICTs and the Environment, including environmental modeling and Geographic Information Systems; Integrated watershed and water resources management, sustainable transport; waste management)
Please see the faculty research priorities here.
Should you be interested in the Network Science field, please indicate that in your research proposal.
Please note that in addition to the standard CEU admissions requirements, the department requires applicants to submit:
1) a statement of purpose (maximum 500 words) describing their intellectual history and motivation for applying, explaining how these relate to future career goals and plans and the name of the potential supervisor; and
2) a detailed research proposal (maximum 2,000 words), in which applicants demonstrate ability to conduct PhD-level research and complementarity with the department's research profile.
Applicants may also include a copy of a published journal article, book chapter or other publication.
January 31, 2019 (23:59 CET, Central European Time):
Scholarship application deadline for doctoral programs. All applications must be complete with relevant standard test scores (TOEFL, IELTS, GRE, etc.).