Call for PhD Applications to the Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy for research on environmental justice as part of the departmental research cluster area Environmental Governance, Politics and Justice supervised by Prof. Tamara Steger
Deadline to apply for studies from 2023/24 at CEU Vienna is February 1, 2023. Successful candidates are granted a four-year scholarship.
In what has become known as “2nd generation” environmental justice scholarship, there is an emphasis on the dynamics and processes that undermine environmental justice and animate struggles for environmental justice. The successful candidate will undertake doctoral research on environmental justice based on multi-scalar power dynamics, history, and intersectionality with an emphasis on exploring the forces of resistance.
Ideal candidates possess:
- An understanding of environmental justice scholarship and/or activism to date.
- Some pre-existing research skills (qualitative research methods a plus!) and basic knowledge of research design (a copy of the applicant’s master’s thesis should be included in the application as a writing sample).
- Clear, succinct, and coherent English writing skills.
- A commitment to completing a dissertation within four years.
- Scholar activists are encouraged to apply.
Financial assistance is available including tuition waivers and full CEU fellowships that cover all tuition fees and include a generous monthly stipend to help with housing and living expenses as well as health insurance. The CEU Doctoral Scholarship is awarded for a period of 48 months in total. Each student is responsible for securing accommodation for themselves.
Please read our Doctoral Program Handbook for detailed programmatic information at the department of Environmental Sciences and Policy Department of CEU.
For more information please check our site:
or get in contact:
Prof. Tamara Steger: StegerT@ceu.edu
Tunde Szabolcs, PhD Program coordinator: SzabolcsT@ceu.edu