Doctor of Philosophy in Environmental Sciences and Policy
Length of program: 48 months
The Environmental Sciences and Policy Doctoral Program* provides a unique opportunity to pursue fundamental and applied research to address some of the most urgent environmental challenges in the world. Our graduates emerge from the Program with a broad understanding of diverse approaches to environmental problems, extensive practical research experience, professional networks and analytical and practical thinking skills with a commitment and capacity to addressing environmental challenges.
Program aims and objectives
The environment is a quintessentially interdisciplinary field that requires an integrated understanding of complex natural histories; ecological processes; scientific evidence; social and cultural contexts; contemporary political debates; legal and policy frameworks; modeling, technical, and management options; and social justice implications for people and communities.
The CEU Environmental Sciences and Policy PhD program is led by faculty from various disciplines with research experience in diverse thematic and geographic contexts, which fosters an environment conducive to interdisciplinary research. The PhD program aims to combine breadth and depth of interdisciplinary learning about the environment with professional development skills. The program begins with an introduction to a wide range of theoretical and methodological approaches, which allows students to choose the most appropriate combination for their research, and continues with custom-tailored theory and methods classes to facilitate in-depth research skills for their empirical projects. Teaching and research practica facilitate opportunities to develop teaching, presentation, and publication skills.
Doctoral Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates from CEU's PhD program in Environmental Sciences and Policy will:
Possess the knowledge to
- Engage the epistemological diversity of natural and social science disciplines in environment-related debates;
- Understand the complex interdisciplinary connections between scientific, ethical, economic, social, cultural, and political aspects of environmental issues at both global and local levels and create new knowledge in their chosen field of in-depth research;
- Learn and apply state-of-the art pedagogical theories to their own teaching and communication.
Apply skills to:
- Think critically and analytically to understand environmental issues; identify and formulate a research problem; and design, implement, and manage sophisticated theoretical, policy and field research and data analysis, both as an independent researcher and a team member;
- Communicate scientific results professionally both in writing and orally, and participate in professional networks;
- Practice student-centered teaching and learning approaches.
Uphold values that:
- Advance a sustainable and open society, self-reflective critical inquiry, research ethics, and environmental and social care.
*The doctoral program is registered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York (US) for and on behalf of the New York State Education Department.
CEU provides several grants for enrolled students, including travel or field and archival research grants with 4 deadlines/academic year (in 2022/23: October 6, 2022; January 5, 2023; March 2, 2023; June 1, 2023) and Winter/Summer school participation support.
Travel grants can contribute to the cost of traveling abroad to attend academic conferences (travel-related costs, conference fees, accommodation and administrative costs) and supplement other travel costs. Research grants may also be used for dissertation related research.
Please contact the Department Coordinator with your grant requests.
In addition, CEU offers Doctoral Research Support Grant (centrally administered) and write-up grants (through the Pro-Rector's Office, upon recommendation of the supervisor).
PLEASE NOTE THAT NEW STUDENTS ENTERING A 4-YEAR PROGRAM WILL HAVE A DIFFERENT FUNDING SCHEME, THE ABOVE GRANTS FOR THEM WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE.
We advise you to check also the searchable database on Austrian grants.
Career Services for Doctoral Students
The Career Services Office of CEU offers tailored career education opportunities, individual advising, and access to relevant vacancies, resources, and events.