Call for papers for the conference 'Racism, Justice, Environment: Critical Approaches in Romani Studies and Beyond'
The Romani Studies Program and the Environmental and Social Justice Action Research Group (ACT JUST) at Central European University, the Roma Program at the FXB Center for Health and Human Rights, Harvard University, in cooperation with the Critical Romani Studies Department at Södertörn University and the European Institute for Arts and Culture are pleased to invite scholars to submit abstract proposals for the Racism, Justice, Environment: Critical Approaches in Romani Studies and Beyond conference dedicated to the topic of environmental justice.
Date: June 1-2, 2023
Deadline: February 26, 2023
Venue: Central European University, Vienna and online
We are especially keen to receive papers on the following topics:
- The relation between antigypsysim / anti-Roma racism and climate injustice
- Romani emancipation and climate justic
- Empirical inquiries into forms of antigypsyism/anti-Roma racism and climate injustice
- Neoliberalism, austerity, and environmental rights
- Critical reflections on the role of NGOs in environmental justice for Roma
- Comparative studies of environmental injustice (Roma and non-Roma groups)
- Theoretical examination of the nexus between environmental injustice and Roma, especially using critical theories
- Case studies of environmental injustice in Europe
- Positive practices of mobilization and actions against environmental injustice in Europe and beyond
Guidelines for authors
Proposals are welcome from researchers at all stages of their careers. Scholars of Romani origin are particularly encouraged to apply. The organizers can cover the costs of a limited number of Romani scholars who otherwise could not afford to participate and commit to submit an original (not yet published) draft paper. In case of co-authored papers, only one author may apply for funding. Junior scholars (MA graduates, junior PhD students) may submit 2000-3000-word-long papers (including critical reviews of books or cultural events, products), whereas senior scholars are expected to contribute 4000-7000-word-long papers.
Full call for papers: https://romanistudies.ceu.edu/article/2023-01-25/RacismJustice%20Environment%20Critical%20Approaches%20in%20Romani%20Studies%20and%20Beyond
Paper proposals are to be submitted at: https://forms.office.com/e/dcGJNaE7rx
All inquiries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
link to the relevant Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/CEURomaniStudiesProgram/posts/585222646949896