Cluster leader: Alexios Antypas
Despite a high level of awareness, current trends in environmental and resource governance continue to lead to environmentally unsustainable and socially inequitable outcomes in which the global and local environments and the prospects for human flourishing continue to deteriorate. The study of environmental and resource governance includes the study of environmental regimes, environmental law, the integration of environmental policy into other policy sectors, the science/policy interface and the processes of integrating environmental information into policy, comparative environmental policy, and the politics of the environment. Furthermore, many environmental problems are inherited from the past, therefore studying the environmental history of contemporary debates brings a better understanding of the current state of events and provides more balanced recommendations for the future. Current state of the environment in countries of Central and Eastern Europe and beyond.
The ERG area has launched an expanded study of far-right environmentalism in Eastern Europe and the development of Rio Principle 10. ERG researchers are also currently engaged in studies of the policy implications of the growing role of the vegan movement within environmentalism and the effects of Trump Administration policies on the energy transition of the U.S. Department of Defense that had begun under previous administrations.
- Antypas, Alexios. 2019 (forthcoming). “COP24, the Paris Rulebook and Diminished Expectations for COP25,” Environmental Liability.
- Antypas, Alexios. 2019 (forthcoming). “A Global Pact for the Environment and the Effort to Secure Global Environmental Norms,” Environmental Law and Management.
- Duprey, Brendan and Alexios Antypas. 2018. “Natura 2000: Bulgaria’s Park “On Paper,” Employment and Economy in Central and Eastern Europe. 7 (1).
- Lubarda, Balsa. 2019 (forthcoming). “Beyond Eco-fascism? Far Right Ecologism as a Framework for Future Inquiries,” Environmental Values.
- Antypas, Alexios. 2017. "Putting Meat on the Agenda: The Kornoivia Joint Work on Agriculture and the Effort to Link Animal Agriculture and Climate Change at the UNFCCC." Environmental Liability. 35 (3).
- Josephson, P., Dronin, N., Mnatsakanian, R., Cherp, A., Efremenko, D. and Larin, V., 2013. An environmental history of Russia. Cambridge University Press.