Call For Applications
Call for Applications 2020
The Environmental Sciences and Policy Doctoral Program is inviting applications for Doctor of Philosophy studies starting from 2020 at CEU in Vienna.*
Financial assistance is available including tuition waivers and full CEU fellowships that cover all tuition fees and include a generous living allowance for up to three years. Please read our Doctoral Program Handbook for detailed programmatic information.
We welcome all applications that fit within the department's research profile. We are particularly interested in applications in the following areas:
- Energy Transitions and Climate Change - ETC
Special call in the area of energy transitions
- Environmental and Resource Governance - ERG
- Environmental Justice, Politics and Humanities - JPH
- Resource and Disaster Management and Pollution Control - RMP
- Sustainable Management of Socio-Ecological Systems - SES
Special call in protected areas management effectiveness (PAME) evaluation
These areas are not isolated, as interaction among them is an essential feature of the departmental structure and our common understanding of environment and society as a co-evolving, integrated whole.
Please see the faculty research priorities here. Many faculty members contribute to more than one area.
The scholarship in these areas is supported by the Department’s strong cross-cutting methodological expertise in quantitative data analysis and processing including remote sensing, geographic information systems, environmental modeling and geospatial data analysis (Viktor Lagutov); advanced statistical methods, simulation, and modelling (Brandon Anthony, Aleh Cherp, Diana Ürge-Vorsatz); and qualitative social science methods (Guntra Aistara, Alexios Antypas, Tamara Steger).
Please note that we do not have laboratory facilities.
1) Master's degree or equivalent in an environment-related field, such as natural or social sciences, engineering, economics, law or management.
2) English language proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, GRE, etc.).
3) Intellectual excellence and demonstrated potential for making an original contribution to knowledge in the field through rigorous research as aligned with faculty research profiles.
Required Application Materials:
Please note that in addition to the standard CEU admissions requirements (Completed online CEU Application Form, Two letters of recommendation, Academic records, A curriculum vitae or resume, Proof of English proficiency), the department requires applicants to submit:
1) a statement of purpose (maximum 500 words) describing their intellectual history and motivation for applying, explaining how these relate to future career goals and plans and the name of the potential supervisor; and
2) a detailed research proposal (maximum 2,000 words), in which applicants demonstrate ability to conduct PhD-level research and complementarity with the department's research profile.
Applicants may also include a copy of a published journal article, book chapter or other publication.
All application materials must be submitted with the online application form of CEU. Materials sent by postal mail, electronic mail or fax are not considered.
January 30, 2020 (23:59 CET, Central European Time):
Scholarship application deadline for doctoral programs. All applications must be complete with relevant standard test scores (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.).
April 1, 2020 onwards:
Admissions decisions and acceptance offers are published on the Applicant Portal.
Admissions decisions are made by an academic selection committee within the given program on the basis of the candidate's past academic achievement, strength of recommendations, English language competency, intellectual merit, work experience (if applicable), expectations of the program, future plans, and general compatibility with the goals of the academic unit.
Please note: Candidates rejected on formal or academic grounds are notified via the Applicant Portal as soon as the decision has been made.
*CEU will welcome all incoming students at its new Vienna campus in September 2020.