Environmental Research Methods: Epistemological Foundations
Students who successfully complete all the requirements for this course can:
1) understand the epistemological bases from which knowledge, derived through scientific methods, is produced in the field of environmental studies.
2) identify epistemological assumptions in relationship to theoretical and methodological approaches to environmental research.
3) develop a critical sense of scientific research by understanding some of the strengths and challenges.
Assessment: Class exercise based on required reading (25%)
2) Bridging epistemological understandings with theoretical and methodological tools
Assessment: "Bridge" exercise (25%)
3) Critical sense of scientific research
Assessment: Poster presentation on selected ENVSCI thesis
--Presentation and organization of poster (20%)
--Analytical quality of poster presentation (20%)
4) Class participation
Assessment: Participation in class exercises (10%).